

The regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Directors was held on June 25th via internet conferencing. The Chairman was in the chair and the Director of Alumni Correspondence was sitting as secretary. The minutes of the previous meeting were read.

Roll call:

Chairman (Devers) - Present

Director of Finance (Atteberry) - Present

Director of Alumni Correspondence (Maddra) - Present

Director of Alumni Programing (Aab) - Present

Director of Membership Development (Stocco) - Present

House Director (Scaggs) - Present

Active-at-Large (Bagwell) - Tardy (3:19)

Quorum: Met

The meeting was called to order at 3:13 PM

Br. Maddra motioned to approve the minutes as read on May 22nd. Br. Atteberry seconded. 2 in favor, 0 against, motion carries

Officer Reports

Chairman: We had some talks with a potential new faculty advisor, Dr. Fulton. Nothing yet about a constitution rewrite.

Finance: Nothing to report

Correspondence: Event surveys going out Monday, please try and have responses by the third.

House Director: NTR

Programming: Couple surveys going out, please keep an eye out for those.

Membership Development: Will continue to keep sending Techlahoma and other similar orgs' events; lots of professional networking type organizations.

Active-at-Large: [has arrived] FMG contract is the main thing. Trying to get the membership database updated for that (big thing!). General update: moving from SF to Austin, trying to find someone to take over the Bay Area Triangles group as a result.

Committees

Finance: NTR. Some stuff for new business

Publicity: Newsletter planned for July 8th. Template for statements on the 8th. If the distro strategy (email + blog post shared on socials) for that works, we'll try that for the Annual Meeting announcements as well. If you have stuff for it, please get it to me by the 7th.

Programming: Virtual D&D and minecraft nights coming. Working on in-person Commander night for the Norman area. There's been some interest in a Triangle Fantasy Football League, plus maybe Friendsgiving & Secret Santa in the winter. Question for everyone: Do we want to have a presence and the intro to engineering?

Br. Chairman: We need a hefty discussion on that. I personally lean towards not having an involvement, b/c I don't want to create an environment in which people are looking for us and we're not there. In the spring it might look a little better, there's a lot of opportunity at the Spring fair. It's really easy to say "yeah we should be involved," and we sign up but don't have a vision for what that looks like for an organization that doesn't have a plan to return in a short timeframe. I don't see us coming back in a spring semester, I see us coming back in a Fall semester, with recruitment in the spring. If anyone has any really good ideas though, I don't want to stomp them out, we just need a very good idea of what that's going to look like.

Br. Programming: There's also the option of doing something during E-Week

Br. Chairman: That sounds a lot better to me.

Br. Programming: We're also reaching out to some neighboring chapters and ASK alumni to see if we want to do some kind of event there.

Old Business

Old Minutes: We'll be going with the older minutes (>7 years) will be passworded or offline/cold-storage. Thanks to Br. Bagwell for the suggestion on that.

November Founders': Our current in-person schedule doesn't sync up well for a November in-person. Still keen on having the November meeting in the Regents' room: good catering options, no hassle set-up/take-down.

Br. MD: Do we need a currently enrolled student?

Br. Chairman: No.

Br. Finance: What's the cost?

Br. Chairman: Ballroom is \$3k, but we want the smaller rooms so presumably less than that.

Br. Finance: I know the catering is pretty cheap too

Br. Chairman: I have the details on that. It is.

Br Hill: Have we considered Jim Thorpe center? Rooms are cheaper and it has good parking.

Br. Chairman: When was the last time you went to a meeting there? There's a lot of construction right now, so it's a mess. We can look into it though.

Br. Chairman: We will establish a planning committee, but we need to agree it's at OU.

Br. M.D: Yeah, I think somewhere in the Union is a good idea. There are meeting rooms we can reserve there.

Br. Bagwell: Art museum is probably too big, but may be an option.

Br. Chairman: Are there serious objections to this being at OU? If not, we will establish a committee to plan this at OU.

Br. Aab: Programming committee is in agreement

Br. Chairman: If possible, the deadline should be next month's meeting. We don't want to dilly-dally on reserving a room.

New Business

Constitutional Amendment (see attachment for text):

Br. AAL: The goal is to provide guard rails on funds we setup, as we go through the transition from not having a chapter, to having a chapter, to having a house again. The goal is to lock it down as much as possible so that changes in administration in the future can't alter it, and also so that we don't fuck it up. So we don't overspend, or lose the purpose that we're raising funds for a chapter house. Principal: GROW, GROW, GROW! Or be cashed out for a house. Residual income on the investment will be used on lease/rent for some chapter facility, or be recapitalized into the fund.

Br. Hill: Is there any way we can include verbiage that allows alumni to make donations directly to the principal of the permanent fund.

Br. AAL: That's already part of the process. Deposits are accepted, we're just putting restrictions on the outflows. Making sure it ends up in the right place is the responsibility of the Director of Finance

Br. Finance: I think we should add what is legal according to the IRS to Article 9. We should enshrine that no more than 35% of our revenue should come from that fund.

Br. AAL: What if the law changes? We shouldn't have to amend the constitution to match current law. We don't want to lock ourselves into an illegal situation. I am open to putting a note in the bylaws that we will follow IRS guidelines instead, since that's easier to amend.

Br. Chairman: I agree with the bylaws idea.

Br. Chairman motions the question. Seconded by Br. Atteberry.

Br. Maddra motions to do vote by hand raising.
6 in favor, 0 against, 1 not voting. The motion carries.

Discussion on passed amendment:

Br. AAL: We should act as if it is passed until we actually pass it in November. We should open an account with TBHC now; there's no restrictions at the moment though.

Br. Correspondence: As long as this can be undone if the chapter votes against it, I think we're good.

Br. AAL: That's my verbal understanding of things with TBHC. Do keep in mind this is a rather unusual way of opening one of these funds with them though

Chapter servers & hosting

Br. Correspondence: Website and such are likely fine now that we're going to be dealing with FMG, just have to finish up with the old domain registrar. There's been some discussion of hosting our own servers for sigma and the game servers since we've been relying on the goodwill of brothers for them for quite some time.

Br. Chairman: We need to spend money to make money. Sigma and the minecraft servers have often brought in a lot of interest in the past. If we can get more reliability and beef behind it, that'd be nice rather than someone "kicking" sigma each time it goes down.

Br. AAL: Do you think the value stems from utilizing the services, or does the membership get the benefit out of learning sys-admin types skills? Do you want cloud, or do we want space to host these things?

Br. Chairman: Typically just one person ends up getting hit with the bills even though everyone says they'd originally pay in. We're inviting too many people to these services for one person to do that. We need to develop some infrastructure for Triangles by Triangles. Sigma is a benefit of membership, and we don't need it shared like a Disney+ password. We need an equivalent of a "digital house." I'm not a tech guy but there is a potential for someone to "own" this.

Br. Hill: I would rather have the digital house sort of thing, somewhere where new members can learn & flex technical skills. I do not like the idea of the minecraft server being the "draw" for Triangle. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth when we can get more than 10 people for MC but not for the board meeting. Minecraft doesn't really contribute positively to the chapter. Kind of against it in principle, due to where the chapter was when it dissolved.

Br. Correspondence: Something used on ebay is probably in the \$500 - \$1k range if we want something reasonable. If we want something good, we should just build it out ourselves. Colocation is probably about \$100 if we go decently power efficient, though it could be more.

Br. Kincheloe: I have some connections with OKC area IT guys, could figure out some options there once we come to a decision. We need to decide what activities are good for getting good brothers though. The hosting would also incorporate having artifacts from the old websites, plex servers, etc. It's more of a general shared resource than just the games; minecraft is just something we know we'd like to have.

Br. Chairman: People don't join a fraternity as an 18/19 year old for resume or academic reasons. They get those benefits anyway. People are going to play games with other people, having a space for active org and alumni org to play together is a useful endeavor.

Br. Hill: I would much rather see a space that's focused towards professional development. There are people who can play video games until 2 AM and still succeed, but there are people who can't play til midnight and they'll fail academically. I agree that the average 18/19 year old aren't joining because it's going to help them succeed academically, but we don't need to be

looking for the average 18 year-old right now. We need a class that'll build the fraternity back up. Getting people to focus on academics was a real problem at the end of the chapter.

Br. Correspondence: We have to be careful, if we don't do this we're going to end up with 1 person paying for it all again and contribute to tensions between alumni and active orgs again since they think we're a bunch of buzzkills.

Br. Chairman: I personally wouldn't pay into an organization whose only goal is professional development, plenty of other organizations already offered that for me (and were free!). We need to figure out what services we offer that make us stand out: it cannot be industry engagement, we will lose on that. We never really had exclusive events and such in the past, and we were still charging \$5 or \$600 a semester. We need to figure out what Oklahoma Triangle offers its initiative; we can't just offer resume workshops.

Br. Hill: I agree, we can't be 100% professional. How difficult would it be to set up the server to host something that people build.

Br. AAL: It's not whether or not equipment gets used; the problem with us as an organization is that equipment ages. Maybe we should look at leasing something instead. I very much do like the idea of there being a valuable playspace, having services accessible with your membership, they both sound wonderful. It's just a matter of which one people want.

Br. Devers: Thanks for the good discussion. I'd like to move on.

FMG Contract

(see attachment)

Br. Bagwell: Before FMG can proceed, they need approval to bill us. Right now the focus is mainly on the website, even though the contract is rather boiler-plate. Stuff about travel expenses is for services we won't be using. It's going to be on us to take care of physical mailing & maintaining email lists. Their product is very well built, it makes it very easy for lost alumni to find our site and update their info.

Br. Chairman: Are there any objections to authorization of this contract?

Br. Atteberry: No objection, but what are the fees?

Br. Maddra: Monthly fee is \$150, one time initial payment of \$700 - \$900, and then some as needed fees that range from \$23-\$35 an hour

Br. Bagwell: They are the cheapest of the three full service options.

The motion to authorize Br. Maddra to sign the contract carries by unanimous consent.

Open Floor

Br. Finance: I am running into a lot of time commitments due to my Ph.D. program. I am struggling to manage committee meetings and the like. I am not resigning yet, but I am putting out the call for someone else to step up. I either need to delegate a lot more or get someone

else. We also need someone local who can do stuff with the banks, even if they don't hold this seat.

Br. Chairman: So you're not stepping down, but you would like to find someone to take the role or to willingly take on a large chunk of the role, correct?

Br. Finance: Correct.

Br. Kincheloe: Please write down everything that needs to be done, so we can use that as a list of everything that needs to be done. We're willing to help, but we need to advertise what needs to be done for that.

Br. Chairman: I can work with you later to get a more proper statement with that list.

Br. Chairman: Dr. Caleb Fulton has emailed us. He's younger and really wants to get involved in the Norman community. He's familiar with the culture around fraternities so stuff shouldn't catch him off guard. I feel like he's probably in a similar position to how Dr. Grady was when he came on.

Br. Bagwell: Dr. Schlupp is also out there. His son is a Triangle, his daughter is an ASK. He's going to be anchored to the area due to his research. He's the kind of guy who won't tolerate a bunch of bullshit in the Fraternity. I haven't approached him in any way.

Br. Hill: I second Dr. Schlupp. Really cool and engaging. If we can have more than one advisor he should be involved.

Br. Kincheloe: I think we should do honorary membership for more of the faculty

Br. Chairman: We should get more faculty involved, and more often as well. If we start targeting some younger faculty as we start amping engagement up, we could very well benefit from that a lot. I will start that dialogue up with Dr. Fulton.

Br. Chairman: The August meeting will be in person.

Br. MD: We could host it at my office (Quest Consulting). August is tentatively OK, but depends on the date.

The meeting adjourned at 4:53 PM

Gregory Maddra